The "Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence" campaign, first launched in the spring of 2016, is part of an overall effort to inspire the hiring of more veterans, national guard members, and reservists into the trucking industry. As the main part of the initiative, deserving veteran drivers who have made a successful transition from military service to the trucking industry were nominated by their carriers for the chance to win a fully-loaded Kenworth T680 truck to accelerate their newfound careers.
Since nominations closed on June 30th for this year’s hopefuls, the exceptional pool of candidates has been narrowed to the elite Top 10.
The Top 10 finalists include (listed in alphabetical order of last name):
- Mary and Larry Berman (Mary, US Army National Guard and Reserves; Larry, US Coast Guard and Army). Carrier: U.S. Xpress
- Phillip Cooper (US Navy). Carrier: Melton Truck Lines
- Sean Harding (US Army). Carrier: Stevens Transport
- Christopher King (US Air Force). Carrier: TMC Transportation
- Britney Motes (US Army). Carrier: Werner Enterprises
- James Rogers (US Army). Carrier: Prime, Inc.
- Wayne Roy (US Marine Corps). Carrier: U.S. Xpress
- Daniel Shonebarger (US Navy). Carrier: Melton Truck Lines
- Gregg Softy (US Army). Carrier: Stevens Transport
- Robert West (US Air Force). Carrier: Werner Enterprises
“Each of these candidates is an incredible ambassador to display what military talent brings to the trucking industry,” said FASTPORT President Brad Bentley. “We’re proud to say that all five United States military branches are represented in this diverse and qualified group, which is simply another proof point that the military, regardless of military occupation or branch, provides a unique and significant foundation for a professional truck driving career.”
The Top 10 Finalists will be recognized at the Great American Trucking Show in Dallas, TX on August 25, 2016 during the U.S. Department of Labor’s Transportation & Logistics Sector of Excellence in Apprenticeships (SEA) Conference and ApprenticeshipUSA Accelerator. To register to attend this event, please use the following link: http://info.fastport.com/gats-dol-registration.
The previous evening, these new drivers will also be recognized at the President George W. Bush Library during a tour and reception where last year’s winner and Navy veteran, Mr. Troy Davidson, will attend and discuss how his military experience enabled him to become named the best new driver in America and how the Transition Trucking award has impacted his life. B.J. Ganem, Wounded Warrior, will also be a guest speaker. To RSVP for the Transition Trucking Reception, email email@example.com.
For more information on the Transition Trucking: Driving for Excellence Award, please visit transitiontrucking.org.